Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 142 - Cucumber Mini Sandwiches

Cucumber Sandwiches, Carrots, Pretzel Crisps, and Cheese Cubes

When I was a kid, my school always had a Mothers' Day tea, and each grade had a specific dish they'd always make.  First graders made cream cheese mints, second graders made sugar cookies, etc.  My favorite every year, made by the third graders, were cucumber sandwiches.  Every year I inhaled them, and had no idea why I loved them so much.  At some point down the road, I discovered that not only was the existence of these tiny delights not limited to my elementary school, but that they are really easy to make.  Traditionally you use white bread with the crusts cut off, thinly sliced cucumbers, and cream cheese.  Some people add sprouts or water chestnuts, but I think those people are crazy.

So, here is my grown up version for lunch today.  Multigrain bread, chive flavored whipped cream cheese, and an English cucumber sliced very thin on a kitchen mandolin.  I cut off the crusts and sliced the sandwich into four equal parts, laying them cut side up strictly for visual purposes.  Threw in some carrots, cheese cubes, and pretzel crisps.  Great lunch for an adult or a particularly adventurous kid.  Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment