Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Day 127 - Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Gravy

Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Gravy, Collard Greens, Clementine, Apple Slices.

 Last night I made one of my favorite dishes...Chicken breasts with a mushroom white wine cream sauce.  One of the reasons I love it is because you get to cheat with a can of cream of chicken soup.  I know, I know, nitrates and preservatives and whatever.  I usually reserve cream of whatever for casseroles, but sometimes you just have to admit how easy they are to use!  This recipe makes a gravy that is velvety and flavorful and delicious...and quick.  Full of calories, but a delicious treat once in a while.  I like to make it extra indulgent by serving it over mashed potatoes!

Today, I made it a little healthier by packing it with a clementine, some apple slices, and collard greens.  I poured in just a teeny bit of water into the larger compartment so that I steamed the collard greens while I microwaved it.  I also tossed the apples and clementine into an extra little container I packed with me, so they stayed cold.  Little more work than some lunches, but totally worth it. 

The chicken recipe is originally from Southern Living, but I've of course made some alterations.  This comes together very quickly and would be great for mid-week company - or just a treat for yourself! 

Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Gravy

skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon marjoram
2 T olive oil 1 (16-oz.) package linguine
1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup dry white wine

1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and marjoram.  Warm half of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook 2 breasts 5-7 minutes on each side or until nicely browned and cooked through. Remove chicken; cover and keep warm, reserving drippings in skillet.  Add the rest of the olive oil to the skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and sauté 8 minutes. Add wine, stirring well and bring to a boil.  Be sure to scrape up brown bits from the skillet and mix well with mushrooms and wine.  Remove from heat; add soup, and whisk vigorously until smooth.  Add chicken back into pan and coat with sauce; warm until just heated through.  Serve with pasta, rice, or potatoes (you'll want a starch for all that great sauce!).  Spoon extra mushroom sauce over chicken as desired, and serve immediately. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment