Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 118 - Comfort Food Winter Salad

Comfort Food Winter Salad

Remember my talking about those goodies I got from my friend K?  She also included some spicy honey mustard, which I used for this tasty salad!  While the shelf variety of hot honey mustard won't be as good as hers, this recipe would still make it pretty tasty!

I call this a "comfort food" salad because it has lots of high calorie items - bacon, cheese, chicken, nuts.  I also filed it under healthy recipes, because even though it's higher in fat, the greens are so good for you.  I know our culture around salad is that it should be an exclusively healthy food, but I think the benefits of the vegetables are worth amping up with some higher fat treats on occasion.  And since it was wintry and blustery this weekend, but I desperately needed some vegetables, that's what I did!  Leftovers for lunch today were great.  I only wish this salad had a little more color, but it tasted just fine as is!

Comfort Food Winter Salad

1 chicken breast
1/2 head lettuce, any type (I think I used romaine), chopped
1/2 head radicchio, chopped
3  strips bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried cherries
2 oz crumbled goat chevre
1 T hot honey mustard
1 T red wine vinegar
2 t olive oil

Cook chicken breast any way you like and chop into bite sized pieces (I baked mine, drizzled with extra honey mustard, the night before with the rest of my dinner - this is a great thing for chicken leftovers!).

In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, and oil - emulsify with an immersion blender if desired.  Set aside.  You may refrigerate and store this overnight if desired.

When ready to eat salad, combine lettuce, raddichio, cherries, cheese, bacon, walnuts, and chicken in a large bowl.  Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.  Serve immediatley.

If packing for lunch, feel free to pack the salad on the side. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment