Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 5 - Simple Chicken Marsala

Chicken Marsala, Egg Noodles, Green Peas, Fresh Apricot

Aaaaaand, we're back!  From a very long (and super fun!) weekend.  Hope all of your weekends were just as lovely. :)

Second week of lunches started off with leftovers from one of my favorite dishes - Simple and Easy Chicken Marsala.  Lunch also included egg noodles, green peas, and a fresh apricot.  I put the apricot in a silicone baking cup so that when I take it out to microwave the rest of the meal, the apricot will have something to sit on.

I'll likely be eating a lot of leftovers on Mondays because I am a big believer in the "Sunday Night Dinner."  I don't particularly care if Sunday Night Dinner actually happens on a Sunday, to be fair.  What matters to me is that I take one night in a weekend to cook a good, slightly more indulgent, hot meal.  No sandwiches, leftovers, or take out.  Something intentional and good for your soul.  I often have people over to share the meal with me, too!

This Chicken Marsala is a great dinner recipe if I'm shorter on time.  I have most of the ingredients on hand in my kitchen, it's not as unhealthy as some, and I've never met anyone who didn't like it.  My recipe isn't complicated or gourmet, it's just the basics.  Last night I served it with egg noodles and canned green peas, although the more classic choice would be angel hair pasta.  Rice, quinoa, and mashed potatoes would all be delightful with this dish, as well as any number of green vegetables.  

Simple Chicken Marsala

1.5 lbs thin sliced boneless chicken breasts (about 6 cutlets - if your store doesn't carry "thin sliced," then buy regular sized breasts and slice or pound them thin)
2 Tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup flour
1 red onion, chopped
8 oz sliced baby portobello mushrooms
1 cup marsala wine
1 Tablespoon dried marjoram
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1 T oil in a large skillet.  Dredge chicken in flour and cook over medium low heat, about 2-3 minutes per side.  When cooked, set aside wrapped in foil.  Melt remaining butter in the pan and add onion, stirring for about 5 minutes or until desired tenderness.  Add mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes or so. Pour in marsala and remaining ingredients.

Mushrooms and onions, before wine

Mushrooms and onions, after wine and seasonings


Switch burner to medium high and reduce sauce, stirring frequently, about 10-15 minutes.  Your sauce can be any viscosity you like, but I like mine around the consistency of syrup.  When sauce has reached the desired state, gently place cooked chicken back in the pan and cook until heated through.  Serve immediately, preferably with a nice loaf of Italian bread to soak up all the delicious sauce!

Yum!

Pin It Now!

1 comment: