Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 112 - Ham and Asparagus Roll-ups

Ham and Asparagus Roll-ups, string cheese, orange sections, wheat thins.
I'll be honest today....this was not nearly as cool as I had intended it to be.  I made some ham and asparagus pinwheels (faux sushi, really), and they looked like a Pinterest Fail.  On the upside, they tasted a lot better than they looked!  They were roll ups of white sandwich bread, ham, asparagus, almonds, dijon mustard, and mayo.  A pretty tasty combination, but I think it would be a lot more effective with a tortilla or some sort of flat bread.  

Anyway, I added some string cheese, wheat thins, and orange sections.  Pretty tasty, even if it's not pretty attractive.

I'll give you the recipe, but really...I wouldn't repeat this exactly as I did it.  But the flavor combo is great, so feel free to experiment.

Ham and Asparagus Roll-ups

1 slice white sandwich bread
1 thin slice ham
4 stalks raw asparagus
1 T sliced almonds
1/2 t  dijon mustard
1/2 t mayonnaise

Cut crusts off of bread (or whatever you use) and flatten with a rolling pin; spread mustard and mayo over one side of bread.  Sprinkle almonds on top Lay on ham slice, cutting to fit.  Trim asparagus stalks so that they are no longer than the bread, and lay on top of ham.  Gently roll up sandwich, like a cigar, with the asparagus in the middle.  Slice into 1/2 inch sections and serve with asparagus ends facing up. Pin It Now!

2 comments: