Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 107 - Refrigerator Oatmeal

Refrigerator Oatmeal with Strawberries, Almonds, and Honey
I've been reading a lot on other blogs and websites about oatmeal "cooked" in the refrigerator and served cold.  I love oatmeal, and since it's been unseasonably warm this week (like, in the 70s, which is ridiculous), I decided to try it.

It. Was.  Delicious. 

It was so creamy and fluffy and filling, I just didn't know what to do with myself.  And it is so healthy!  It uses a variety of whole grains and fruit, including chia seeds which are all the rage right now for health reasons.  I jut like the way they plump up with the milk, to be honest.

This is a must try.  I will say, the recipe below made what looked like one serving, but I couldn't get all the way through it in one sitting.  I'd recommend splitting it in half.  I kept mine in the fridge for well over 48 hours and it never got overly mushy, so this would be a great thing to make for a few days worth of breakfasts or healthy snacking!

Feel free to replace the honey and berries with whatever you like.  The almonds, too.  The milk to oatmeal/granola ratio is what's really important here, but feel free to experiement with the toppings and let me know how you feel!



Refrigerator Oatmeal

1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup steel cut instant (5 minute) oats (or, you may also use non-instant rolled oats)
1/4 cup low fat granola, without raisins (or with, if you really like them!)
2 T chopped almonds
1 T chia seeds
1 t honey
strawberries, however many you like, for topping

Combine all ingredients, except strawberries, in a 16 oz container with a tight fitting lid.  Shake until well combined.  Place in refrigerator over night, at least 8 hours.  When ready to eat, remove lid and top with strawberries and extra honey as needed.  Serve cold and enjoy!

Look, it even has a top!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment