Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 54 - Cream of Mushroom Soup



Cream of mushroom soup
 
Made this last night and had to pack it for lunch today.  The pics aren't from my thermos, but I promise it stayed beautifully warm and was a great, unhealthy treat at work.

Cream of mushroom soup.  Perfect consistency, great flavor, nice and creamy.  Great for a rainy day.

I gotta quit making comfort food for lunch, though.  I promise, my dinners have been salads lately.  Sometimes...



Cream of Mushroom Soup

8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup dried mushrooms
2 strips bacon, diced
1 cup half and half
1.5 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup sherry
1 T butter, optional
1 T cornstarch
1 t fresh thyme
1 t worcestershire
1 t garlic
2 bay leaves

In a nonstick soup pot, cook bacon over medium heat until it begins to crisp.  Add in mushrooms and garlic, cooking until they begin to soften.  Add in chicken stock, thyme, Worcestershire, and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil.  In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine sherry and cornstarch; shake until smooth.  Pour into soup and cook until thickened.  Remove bay leaves and stir in half and half.  Cook until heated through, and serve immediately.  

This picture is only here because you can see my kitty in the background, checking out the birds, and I think it's cute.  That's all.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment