Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 31 - Potato and Green Bean Salad

Potato and Green Bean Salad, Greek green salad, red plum.

Still eating leftovers from gyro night!  Had a little of the green salad left, and included a plum from the farmers' market.  But the main dish was a delicious Potato and Green Bean Salad.  I got this recipe from some magazine quite a while ago, but I can't remember which magazine.  I've made my own edits over time, and  it's one of my favorites at a party.  It's good cold,  melt-in-your-mouth delicious when hot.  It's also fairly cheap and good looking...in other words, the perfect potluck dish.  Had it cold for lunch today and loved it! 

Potato and Green Bean Salad

1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
4 tsp lemon juice
4 tsp whole grain Dijon
1 Tbs parsley
Salt and  Pepper to taste
1 lb small red and/or Yukon gold  potatoes
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed.

Whisk together first 6 ingredients; set aside.  Simmer green beans in salted water until barely tender and bright green, 2-3 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl of ice water.  Drain and pat dry.  Add potatoes to the same pot and simmer until tender, 10-20 minutes.  Drain potatoes and halve them.  Add in green beans and gently toss with olive oil mixture.  Serve hot or cold. Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Do you think this would work with sweet potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know...I have no idea. The dressing is a little tangier than I tend to like with sweet potatoes, but truth be told I really only like sweet potatoes with butter and a lot of brown sugar. If you're one that likes savory sweet potatoes, the texture would certainly work. If you try it, let me know! I'd be interested to hear how it goes!

      Delete