Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 99 - Mediterranean Pasta Toss for One!

Mediterranean Pasta, Grilled Chicken, Apple Slices

If you cook for yourself a lot, as I do, you find that you have lots of leftovers and a LOT of desire to revamp those leftovers for variety's sake.

Or, maybe you're always cooking for yourself and you dream of being able to cook that one, perfect meal by yourself.

But, of course, there are no recipes for one.  Ok, there are plenty, but not as many out there in the universe as I'd like, so I'm adding one more!  I had tilapia and a side of pasta and asparagus last night.  I had lots of leftover pasta, asparagus, and feta cheese, and so I made a couple of dishes for the remaining week.  For today, I made a single serving of a Mediterranean Pasta Toss, made of my leftovers and some random items I found in my fridge.  I put some leftover chicken from a few days ago on the side (which I mixed into the pasta while eating) as well as some apple slices.  It was good, fresh, and filling.

Tune in tomorrow for what I did with the rest of my leftovers. :)

Mediterranean Pasta Toss for One

1 cup cooked pasta (I used a combination of spaghetti and vermicelli)
1/2 cup fresh tomato, chopped (go ahead and use canned if that's all you've got)
1/2 cup fresh (or recently cooked) asparagus, chopped into one inch pieces
1/4 cup feta cheese
1 T olive oil
1 T dry white wine (or broth)
2 t capers
1 t minced garlic (I use the bottled kind)

In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add wine, garlic, tomato, and capers.  Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the garlic just begins to brown.  Stir in asparagus - if it is raw, cook for 3-5 minutes until tender; if it has already been cooked, then immediately proceed to the next step.  Stir in your pasta.  If pasta is still hot, then just toss to coat and serve; if your pasta has been in the refrigerator, then reduce heat to low and stir constantly until heated through, about 3 minutes.  Sprinkle in feta cheese and serve immediately.

Reheats well in the microwave.

I highly recommend a green salad and a good, crusty bread on the side! Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me, too! This one is great microwaved, as well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. Lunch at work has been the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE the last few months. Sick to death of sandwiches and making bad choices (plus spending money) always running out to get something. I will be spending the next while exploring your blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Only ... not the best cooking skills here. Must remedy that. Also no awesome farmer's markets. Some ... passable ones. And a co-op every other week that is at least better than the grocery store. Only you never know what you're going to get there, plus it tends to go bad before I can finish all of it. Oh well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by! I have a great farmer's market, but I use it mostly for its fabulous prices rather than its selection...almost all the produce I use could be found at your average grocery stores. As for the cooking, the best way to learn is by trying! And if that's too much work, I have lots of no-cook options, too. :) Hope you enjoy perusing the blog.

      Delete