Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 63 - Moravian Inspired Chicken Hand Pies

"Moravian" Chicken hand pie, green beans, squash casserole.

My friend Laura is coming to visit me!  All the way from Texas!  I'm so excited I might explode!  Wooohooooo!

Ok, moment.  Moment over.

Anyway, my friend Laura is coming to visit and I'm, clearly, very happy.  Since she's originally from Winston-Salem and has always talked about Moravian Chicken Pie, I decided in my excitement to try making it myself.  But knowing that I wanted to have some for lunch, I decided to have my own spin and make them into little hand pies!

They are soooooo good.  I'm not sure if they're authentic, but whatever this ended up being was fabulous.  I added some green beans and leftover Squash Casserole, and this was one of the best lunches so far this fall.  And the saltiness was a nice contrast to all that candy I've been eating today...ahem.

My pie filling recipe is heavily inspired from this Moravian Chicken Pie recipe, so try your hand at that if you prefer a whole pie!



Moravian Inspired Chicken Hand Pies

1 package refrigerated pie crust, two sheets (I prefer Pillsbury)
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used a grocery store rotisserie with the skin removed)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
1-2 tablespoon butter, cut in pieces

In a medium sized pot, heat broth and butter until just simmering.  Add in flour and stir til smooth and thickened.  Stir in chicken, salt, and pepper.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Roll out each pie crust and cut into four wedges (like a pie).  Place 2-3 heaping Tablespoons of chicken mixture on each crust piece and fold over, crimping edges firmly.  Pierce top of each hand pie with a fork.  Place on a parchment lined sheet and bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, or until crusts are brown and crispy.  Serve hot. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. How did you fold the pastry dough to look like rectangles? The filling is delicious but my hand pies are hideous!

    ReplyDelete